Sunday, October 2, 2011

Why Not?

Today (October 2nd) is Livestrong's "Wear Yellow Day". It's to honor those affected by cancer. I wore yellow. It's also Lance Armstrong's anniversary of when he he was told he had cancer. Today, while running I thought about the day I found my lump (December 2, 2009) or the day the doctor confirmed what I already knew (December 18, 2009). I thought about the meme going around Facebook, recently (the one with people reposting a note about folks with Cancer only wanting to survive). I thought about all of these things and more.

Do I only want to survive?

Ever see that documentary about the lioness who raised an african antelope from birth. She cared for the little thing. Watched over it. Kept it safe. Cleaned it like all cats do by licking it. Never once thought about eating it; she treated it like her offspring. Then, one day, along comes a male lion, finds the antelope and eats it. Boom. Dead, just like that - ripped open and with eyes glazed over. The female lion was clearly distraught, but what was done was done. It was sad - I teared up, felt for the lioness and the antelope and felt sick to my stomach at the coldness of it all. But, that's the world for animals like you and me. Most of the time, you're minding your own business, making your way through your life and, suddenly, along comes something that decides you're just a pile of meat and eats you.

Your eyes glaze over. Sucks for you; too bad for those around you.

If it just stopped there, then it would be pretty sad. But, it doesn't stop there. And, that's my point about wanting more than just to survive. I'm not that antelope! The mere fact that it's sad is uplifting. Somehow, we humans have been given the gift of moral vision - that the world could be a better place, if we could only make it so. Here we are, a little piece of animated meat given the ability to ask "Why Not?"

So, I ask you: Why Not? Can you change the world? Why Not? Can you make it a better place? Why Not? Can you cure cancer or AIDS or end world hunger? Why Not?

Am I asking you to be the next Louis Pasteur or create the next Genentech? To be honest, that would be great, but that's not what I'm suggesting. I think making oneself better is part of making the world a better place. Helping those around you makes the world a better place. If you have the means and the talent to change millions or billions of lives for the better, then go for it. However, even if you have only the ability to change your little corner, then don't wait, don't pause, just go ahead and make it better. But, really make it better. Don't just wish it better or pray for it to be better. Do the hard work, get dirty. Really, really, do it. You will never regret it.

I promise you, all too soon, you're going to find out you're only meat. By then, it could be too late to do anything.

1 comment:

Frederick Ferguson said...

Reading posts like this I remember why I am still friends with you after all this time. You left an impression on me man and you still do.