Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"Daddy, can I have a copy of our PGE bill?"

My son walked into the office six weeks ago.

"Daddy, can I have a copy of our PGE bill?"
"Sure, kiddo, what do you need it for?"
"We're doing a school project on energy usage."

It turns out that my son's sixth grade class is planning a trip to a Spanish speaking country next year. The students have to raise the money for the trip, parents aren't supposed to just pay for it. To help raise funds the students and teachers decided to ask all of the sixth grade families to pledge one month energy savings (year over year). It was each students' responsibility to work with their families to lower gas and eletricity usage. The entire process was made part of the science curicullum as a project with a final written paper.

I started looking at the bill, closely. Wow! Those top-end energy tiers sure do cost alot of money. Cutting down electricity usage would surely be both environmentally and wallet friendly. I've always thought of myself as a friend of the environment. However, intent is one thing and action is another.

So, can one little school project on saving energy change the world? I surely hope so.

No comments: